It’s grey, wet and windy outside right now, the temperature is nice but it’s just so BLAH out! When I think of Spring, (the season) I think of flowers, warmer weather, cleaning and melting snow. I saw a meme the other day that said “Canada: Where you can get frost bite and sunburn in the same week”, in Toronto this past week you could’ve gotten both in one day.
Who is Mother Nature and why does she insist on toying with our emotions?
I have to admit, I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately emotionally and the weather isn’t helping (Winter Blues is a real thing) so I’ve decided to watch a few movies that I know will put me in a good mood and get me looking forward to the sunnier weather ahead.
Here are my picks for the top 5 films that will get you out of a Winter funk.
- The Wizard of Oz – This is one of my favourite musicals/stories. The popular phrase for springtime “April Showers, bring May flowers” comes to mind. What also comes after rain? A rainbow and the popular classic song “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” is on my unofficial springtime soundtrack. Along with the colourful sets and the munchkins dancing around, it will be really hard to not have a full on smile through most of the movie.
- Matilda – I actually watched this again recently because my boyfriend had never seen it. It was just as charming this time around then the last time I saw it. This was one of my favourite books growing up and I equally loved the movie. Every time I hear “Send Me on my Way”, I can only think of the pancake scene. It’s a happy sounding song that’s ALSO on my unofficial spring soundtrack; it’s great to listen to during a good spring cleaning sesh too!
- Bring It On – As I stated in my first post, I love a good cheesy movie and Bring It On is VERY cheesy. But I think one of the reasons why I love it so much is because they KNEW they were cheesy. The cheers are so catchy and if you’ve seen it as much as I have, you can sing them perfectly when put on the spot – this was made very apparent last month when I met someone who loves that opening sequence just as much as I do. Go Toros! 😛
- Midnight in Paris – This romantic-fantasy film by Woody Allen is charming and literally brings you into another era. There’s an all-star cast playing many great figures like Ernest Hemingway and Pablo Picasso. This is a beautifully shot film and it makes me really want to visit Paris one day.
- Happy (Documentary) – If I’m putting together a list of films that will put you in a better mood after a dreary winter, a movie titled Happy has got to be on the list. This film follows different individuals around the world who have found happiness in the simple things and helps put into perspective to not “sweat the small stuff”. It’s a fascinating topic and at the very least, the smiles are infectious.
There are so many movies that can instantly lift spirits and get anyone in the mood for the warmer weather ahead.
Do you have any go-to films to watch during spring or to help you get out of a winter funk? I’d love to know.