I’ve been pretty vocal about my guilty pleasure for romantic comedies and chick flicks. I will rarely buy them, but I’ll totally watch them on my separate Netflix profile. Marilyn Monroe, J-Lo and Jennifer Aniston are only some of my favourite Rom-Com actresses. However; when Valentine’s Day rolls around, I usually don’t feel like trying to get my boyfriend to watch a chick flick with me, because there are so many other options out there that both of us will enjoy and the acting will usually be better too.
Here’s a little list of some of my favourite flicks from different genres that I’ll be choosing from for tonight’s entertainment.
- John Wick – The sequel came out just in time for Valentine’s Day this year. This is an amazingly choreographed “shoot em up” action flick with a beautiful love story. John’s wife dies of cancer and he’s heartbroken. While grieving, he receives a delivery that his wife had set up before she passed…an adorable puppy! No spoilers, but If you haven’t seen this yet, you should.
- Moonrise Kingdom – This film is beautifully shot, with an all-star cast. Basically, two kids in puppy love run away on an adventure and everyone sets out to find them. It has some odd imagery, great acting and a cute story line.
- Scott Pilgrim VS. The World – The tagline on the poster is “Get the hot girl. Defeat her evil exes. Hit love where it hurts”. Before Scott meets the hot girl Ramona in real life, he sees her in a dream. (How cheesy is that?) Trying to prove his love and keep his new girlfriend he must defeat her exes. Pure Valentine’s gold in my opinion! Also, any movie shot or based in Toronto where I can recognize all of the streets is also a plus!
- Edward Scissorhands – From the movie’s IMDB page – “A gentle man, with scissors for hands, is brought into a new community after living in isolation”. That sums up the film perfectly. This film follows the new life of Edward who tries to live outside of his secluded and empty house. He’s an unconventional looking man who falls in love with a high school cheerleader.
- Beauty and the Beast – (or really, any Disney film) Beauty and the Beast is my favourite Disney film of all time. I’m both excited and nervous about the release of the live action one. This is perfect for families spending Valentine’s Day together who want to watch something a bit more kid friendly. It’s a tale as old as time and cute love story.
There are truly so many movies that you can choose to watch for today. I like to think a bit more outside of the box; even though I love a good cry and The Notebook.
What are your
go-to Valentine’s Day movies to watch?